The Remote Pilot Academy with Tello Drones
An unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) (or uncrewed aerial vehicle, commonly known as a drone) is an aircraft without a human pilot on board and a type of unmanned vehicle. Unmanned aircraft system (UAS) means an unmanned aircraft and the equipment to control it remotely. Unmanned aircraft (UA) means any aircraft operating or designed to operate autonomously or to be piloted remotely without a pilot on board. The DJI Tello Drone is the perfect companion technology.
The Remote Pilot Academy is designed to expose each participant to the fundamentals of drone flight and mapping via coding and networking. The participant will program the DJI Tello Drone, located at STEMERALD City, to perform basic and advanced flight maneuvers from their home. This is how it works.
- The participant will connect with a STEMERALD City STEM Coach via video conferencing software. The participant will operate the computer that connects to the drone and receive direct instruction from the STEM Coach.
- The participant will also see the drone and the obstacle course via live video feeds.
- The STEM Coach will position and reposition the drone as needed.
See it in action.
There are four levels of achievement; Cadet, Remote Pilot in Training, Advanced Remote Pilot in Training, and STEMERALD City Certified Remote Pilot.
Cadet – All participants initially start out as cadets. At this level, they learn basic flight maneuvers such as takeoff, land, fly forward, and yaw via coding. Also they will learn math functions to guide the drone through a basic obstacle course. This level requires a minimum of two sessions to be promoted to Remote Pilot in Training.
Remote Pilot in Training (RPT)- At this level, participants learn
- Basic flight maneuvers such as takeoff, land, fly forward, and yaw via a direct Wifi Connection
- How to send instructions in real-time to the drone via network packets
- Piloting the drone based on verbal and written instructions from the STEM Coach
- IT fundamentals such as IP addressing, WIFI connectivity, and sending network packets
This level requires a minimum of two sessions to be promoted to Advanced Remote Pilot in Training (ARPT).
Advanced Remote Pilot in Training (ARPT)- At this level, participants learn
- Mission planning and mapping
- How to code the drone to complete a mission based on verbal and written instructions from the STEM Coach
- How to pilot the drone in real time to complete a mission based on verbal and written instructions from the STEM Coach
This level requires the participant to attend a minimum of two sessions to be awarded their STEMERALD City Certified Remote Pilot Certificate.
STEMERALD City Certified Remote Pilot (SCCRP) – This certificate will document and validate a minimum of 12 STEM contact hours per participant. The certificate will list the following skills learned:
- Introduction to Drones and Aviation
- Mission Mapping and Planning
- Basic IT Fundamentals
The technical requirements are as follows:
- A PC or Mac Computer
- A stable Internet Connection
- A Headset Microphone (optional)
The cost per session is $75. Each session lasts two hours.
This is great stem training for teachers. Would you like to ask a question? Chat with us now.